TIGIT-expressing zoledronate-specific γδ T cells display enhanced antitumor activity
Human γδ T cells hold a pivotal role in tumor immunosurveillance through their prompt activation and cytokine secretion and have received much attention in adoptive immunotherapy of clear cell renal cell carcinoma (ccRCC). However, the therapeutic effects are limited in ccRCC. Therefore, it is now critical to improve therapeutic strategies based on γδ T cells, especially identification of functional γδ T cell subsets. In this study, we aimed to identify γδ T cells that might have enhanced responses against ccRCC. Bioinformatic analysis showed that ccRCC patients with high T cell immunoglobulin and immunoreceptor tyrosine-based inhibitory motif domain (TIGIT) expression had higher levels of effector molecules. Then, we examined the changes in the TIGIT+ γδ T cell percentages of 6 ccRCC patients and 14 healthy subjects through zoledronate (ZOL) stimulation. Results indicated that percentages of TIGIT+ γδ T cells were positively correlated with activated γδ T cells in early activation stage. Further study demonstrated that TIGIT+ γδ T cells exhibited enhanced activation, contained more terminally differentiated effector γδ T cells and produced higher cytokine compared with TIGIT- γδ T cells. Finally, we investigated the functions and found that TIGIT+ γδ T cells exhibited stronger tumor reactivities and higher cytotoxicity when challenged by tumor cells. Above results imply that TIGIT+ γδ T cells are the main effectors in ZOL recognition and tumor cells challenging. The results of the present study serve as basis for future functional studies on TIGIT+ γδ T cells and provide a promising approach of immunotherapy in ccRCC.
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
Please note: The publisher is not responsible for the content or functionality of any supporting information supplied by the authors. Any queries (other than missing content) should be directed to the corresponding author for the article.
- 1, . The frontline immunotherapy-based treatment of advanced clear cell renal cell carcinoma: current evidence and clinical perspective. Biomedicines. 2022; 10:.
- 2, , , . Immunotherapy and metastatic renal cell carcinoma: a review of new treatment approaches. Life (Basel, Switzerland). 2021; 12:.
- 3, , . Emerging immunotherapy in advanced renal cell carcinoma. Urol Oncol. 2017; 35: 687-693.
- 4, , . Immune recognition of phosphoantigen-butyrophilin molecular complexes by γδ T cells. Immunol Rev. 2020; 298: 74-83.
- 5, , , , , . γδ cells and tumor microenvironment: a helpful or a dangerous liason? J Leukoc Biol. 2018; 103: 485-492.
- 6, , , , . In vivo expansion and activation of γδ T cells as immunotherapy for refractory neuroblastoma: a phase 1 study. Medicine (Baltimore). 2016; 95:e4909.
- 7, , , et al. Gammadelta T cells for immune therapy of patients with lymphoid malignancies. Blood. 2003; 102: 200-206.
- 8, , , . γδ T cell therapy for the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer. Transl Lung Cancer Res. 2014; 3: 23-33.
- 9, , , et al. Adoptive transfer of zoledronate-expanded autologous Vγ9Vδ2 T-cells in patients with treatment-refractory non-small-cell lung cancer: a multicenter, open-label, single-arm, phase 2 study. J Immunother Cancer. 2020; 8:.
- 10, , , et al. T cells expanded from PD-1(+) peripheral blood lymphocytes share more clones with paired tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes. Cancer Res. 2021; 81: 2184-2194.
- 11, , . Five layers of receptor signaling in γδ T-cell differentiation and activation. Front Immunol. 2015; 6: 15.
- 12, , , et al. Expression and function of PD-1 in human gammadelta T cells that recognize phosphoantigens. Eur J Immunol. 2011; 41: 345-355.
- 13, , , et al. Restoration of T-cell effector function, depletion of tregs, and direct killing of tumor cells: the multiple mechanisms of action of a-TIGIT antagonist antibodies. Mol Cancer Ther. 2021; 20: 121-131.
- 14, , , et al. Multivariate computational analysis of gamma delta T cell inhibitory receptor signatures reveals the divergence of healthy and ART-suppressed HIV+ Aging. Front Immunol. 2018; 9: 2783.
- 15, , , et al. Analysis of tumor-infiltrating NK and T cells highlights IL-15 stimulation and TIGIT blockade as a combination immunotherapy strategy for soft tissue sarcomas. J Immunother Cancer. 2020; 8:.
- 16, . NK cell dysfunction and checkpoint immunotherapy. Front Immunol. 2019; 10: 1999.
- 17, , , et al. UALCAN: a portal for facilitating tumor subgroup gene expression and survival analyses. Neoplasia (New York, NY). 2017; 19: 649-658.
- 18, , , et al. Expansion of circulating peripheral TIGIT+CD226+ CD4 T cells with enhanced effector functions in dermatomyositis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2021; 23: 15.
- 19, , , et al. Bone marrow-resident Vδ1 T cells co-express TIGIT with PD-1, TIM-3 or CD39 in AML and myeloma. Frontiers in medicine. 2021; 8:763773.
- 20, , , et al. Blockade of the checkpoint receptor TIGIT prevents NK cell exhaustion and elicits potent anti-tumor immunity. Nat Immunol. 2018;.
- 21, , , et al. TIGIT and PD-1 impair tumor antigen-specific CD8⁺ T cells in melanoma patients. J Clin Invest. 2015; 125: 2046-2058.
- 22, , , et al. Homing and memory patterns of human gammadelta T cells in physiopathological situations. Microbes Infect. 2005; 7: 510-517.
- 23, , , et al. PD-1-Expressing SARS-CoV-2-specific CD8(+) T cells are not exhausted, but functional in patients with COVID-19. Immunity. 2021; 54: 44-52 e43.
- 24, , , et al. Immune response in silico (IRIS): immune-specific genes identified from a compendium of microarray expression data. Genes Immun. 2005; 6: 319-331.